Heard about this first through an article at Bleeding Cool, so decided to check it out through the official lines (DC Comics and Warner Bros). Turns out this is a brand new posting as of December 6.
Of course, as I read the listing and job requirements, the inner snark in me is loud as hell. Considering the fiasco surrounding the New 52 and how they treat their writers/artists, as well as how a number of talents have been fired or just flat out walked out on them over the past year due to their bullshit, I have a real hard time taking this seriously, even though I know it’s a serious job opening.
Comparing what Job Requirements are “preferred” on the list as opposed to “required” is what especially sets me off.
You’d think if you were applying as an editor at one of the big two comic book companies, something like “KNOWLEDGE OF THE COMIC BOOK INDUSTRY” would be “REQUIRED” instead of just “STRONGLY PREFERRED”.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
DC Comics seeks an Editor for the Editorial (East Coast) department. Position manages a line of editorial product within the DC Comics imprint.
- Performs full editorial function for a minimum of 5 monthly titles.
- Manages the creative process from conception through publication. Ensures that schedules and budgets are met and product quality is at or above DC’s standards. Seeks ways to keep ongoing series fresh and exciting.
- Identifies and develops new editorial products for the DC Universe.
- Identifies potential new talent and maintains relationships with current talent.
- Ensures that other DC staff members have the materials required to maximize service to the product.
- Supervises and develops junior staff members.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- BA/BS degree in English, Journalism or Art preferred.
- 3-5 years editorial experience, comic books/graphic novels preferred.
- Ability to manage a creative team.
- Knowledge of comic book industry strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of art (ability to discuss composition, design, etc…) required.
- Copyediting and proofreading skills preferred.
- Ability to meet deadlines required.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing required.
- Ability for some light travel strongly preferred.
- Must have the ability to communicate effectively and tactfully with managers and other levels of personnel.
- Must have the ability to pay close attention to details.
- Must have the ability to organize.
- Must have the ability to work well under time constraints.
- Must have the ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Must have the ability to meet deadlines, manage multiple project elements simultaneously.
- MAC/PC proficiency required.
- Domestic travel up to 5%.